Saturday 10 January 2015

Simple Sweetie - Gyaru Makeup

Hello Sweethearts!

I mentioned at the bottom of my last post (congrats if you managed to make it through!) that I am going to do a tutorial for the simple & sweet gyaru makeup that has kick started my 2015 style.

When it comes to Gyaru, for me it's all about the eyes. Circle lenses and lashes are an absolute must, but there's absolutely no need to break the bank for this!  (I'm wearing Princess Mimi lenses in Sesame Grey that I won from www.pinkyparadise.com)

 This is a pretty simple tutorial for me, however you'll get to see me go from bare faced & drab to socially acceptable. Please bare in mind that I'm not that comfortable seeing myself on camera without inch thick makeup so it's quite a thing for me!

 I'm going to give you a video tutorial with annotations, and then I'm going to talk about products a little bit! This was the first time that I've used my camera & studio lights for a video tutorial, so I'm still trying to work around the colour cast (which makes my hair looks blue/green even though it most definitely isn't!Also having the lights up at my face has made my body seem more tanned than it is - rest assured, I'm all one colour!) and trying to get a good set up in my flat, so please excuse any lighting mishaps!

Here is the look:



Here is the video tutorial:

(for better quality, please watch on youtube & subscribe to my new channel! ^_^ )
If you can't see the video, follow this link to it on youtube!





Ok, so let's talk products!  
Base:
Etude House CC Cream in Glow
 I was given this as a gift from my BFs sister when she came over from Hong Kong as I really wanted to try out CC creams, but couldn't find anything that I liked the look of in the UK that wasn't going to cost a fortune!
 I've used this as a base, as I really love the fresh glow it gives. It also gives a pretty good base to apply foundation over, and it's built in lightener works well for the pale look that I like.

Foundation: 
I'm using Max Factor Colour adapt in shades 40 (creamy ivory) and 55 (Blushing Beige).
 I usually wear my makeup a lot heavier than most people, as I'm that used to having to pile it on for photoshoots, so this is a nice thick foundation that gives really good coverage. I'm using 2 foundation shades to start my facial contouring process.
 In Gyaru makeup, having a strong contoured face definitely completes the look. You want to slim down your nose and give your face definition - which you'll see me do in the video.

Concealer;
2True Cover 'n' Conceal in shade 1.
  Again, this is quite a heavy stick concealer, which works well for camera ready makeup. (Studio lights and flash has a nasty habit of bleaching out makeup, so you need to really layer it on for these occasions) I use this in place of a 3rd, lighter, foundation, as it's lighter than my normal one - so I use this to add highlights to my face. It blends out really well for me, and covers what I need to cover.

Powders:
Generally, I use 2 powders. I first do a general cover in a normal, ivory pressed powder. In this case, I'm using 2true pressed powder from Superdrug for my general coverage.
 Then I go over and strengthen contouring with a darker pressed powder. This time round, I'm using MUA bronzer in shade 1, I think. I'll use a darker powder if I want a really, super harsh contouring effect, but I use this one in day to day life as it's not too harsh and warms my skin tone up after all the super light foundation.
(You can also use a matt brown eyeshadow for contouring, which I also do.)

Blush:
W7 'The cheek of it' pink blush, which I got from Watt Brothers but you can get this from Amazon. Really inexpensive, but super pigmented and blends well - amazing value for money since a little goes a long way!

Highlighter:
Using a w7 highlighter powder here, to add a lovely glow. This one is a lovely shimmery pink colour, and reflects really well. I use it to bring out my cheekbones, bridge of nose and cupids bow. I do like to add a little to my chin and forehead, though you have to be careful with this or else you'll look greasy.


Eyeshadow:
Again, another w7 product: In the nude palette. (This was a Birthday gift from a friend)
 It's pretty much a far cheaper alternative to Urban Decays' Naked Palette, but it doesn't scrimp on quality. Goes on really well and blends perfectly. I will do a full review on this soon as I love it so much.
  I like to use around 4 shades of eyeshadow for this type of look, despite it being pretty subtle! I know it sounds a lot, but I like to build up layers and dimension.

Eyebrows:
There are so many ways to fill in your brows, all depending on what look you're going for! I've just used one of the colours from the w7 palette on an angled brush to fill and define my brows as it's the simplest, and usually most effective way to go about it.
 If I want to make them stronger, then I may wet the shadow and use it as a liner although in this case, I want them to remain rather natural.

Liquid liner: 
2True black liquid liner from Superdrug. I much prefer liquid liner, as it goes on pitch black, and has a nice sharp applicator that's easy for me to use to create defined eye looks.
Usually you can get 3 for £5 deals on 2True products, and they're definitely worth using!

Under Eye Highlights:
I have to confess, I absolutely LOVE the Crystal Tear Liner from Etude House. I had this and some other products brought back from a friend that was studying in Korea.
 This is very similar in colour to my w7 powder highlighter, except that it's a liquid and a lot more reflective/shimmery. I use this to brighten up the inner corners of my eyes, and in this look, I used it underneath my eye to make them look puffier and bigger due to the reflecting qualities.
 It also looks super cute!

Mascara:
For me, Maybelline mascara always wins, hands down. this time around, I'm using their smokey eye mascara. Goes on really black, and does create a lovely look. In this case, I'm onto using a little here so that my lashes will blend in with the falsies.


Lashes:Ok, for Gyaru looks, lashes are an absolute MUST. Without it, you're not really going to look Gyaru at all.
 Usually you see everyone wearing Diamond Lash, Dolly Wink etc, which are lovely and Gyaru type brands from Japan, but I genuinely can't afford to buy these, especially at the rate I chew through lashes.

For this look, I bought some cheap lashes from Savers, which cost me I think £3 for 2 sets from Nlashes, and the ordered a box of 10 pairs of bottom lashes from Ebay (coming from Taiwan) -Under £5 for the box.
 For me, these work really well and are very easy to use.
As a western girl, I tend to have pretty long bottom lashes, so I like to use bottom lashes that are more defined and thick so that you can actually notice them. I've extended them past my natural eye line, and also placed them slightly lower down to make my eyes appear larger, without going totally overboard.

Lips:Another wonderful product from Etude House - Juicey pop Tube in their Pink shade. I went for this as I really love the high gloss look, and it's not sticky or heavy on your lips at all. It's not a really strong colour either, so it allows for your eyes to do the talking!

Wow, I really didn't think I'd write this much if I'm honest!
 Hopefully this, more in depth product list (compared to my usual list at the end of videos) is quite helpful to you.
 I very much believe in Beauty on a Budget, so I will also do a post on how much I actually spend on products! Usually I don't like spending over £5 on a single product, unless it's foundation, in which case no more than £10.

Until next time!

Love,

Kasumi x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your comments <3